Friday 17 September 2021

Eurotunnel or Ferry?

This is always the dilemma when you live near the "ports". Eurotunnel's "Le Shuttle" train to Calais or the ferry with P&O or DFDS.

I usually do a fare check and then decided that as I live about 5 miles from Eurotunnel and 15 from Dover, I choose Eurotunnel.

So with over 250 days until departure it may be a little early to look for fares. But. There's no harm in taking a look. 😊

The plan to leave UK around 0820 on the 25th May and returning 1820 on the 31st.

So today's prices:

  • Eurotunnel - £90 return for a bike and rider.
  • P&O - £88.50 return bike and rider
  • DFDS - not as forward thinking and bookings can only be made up to Christmas!

At the moment it looks as though Eurotunnel wins. As long as the service is running on time and there are no delays the crossing is half the time of the ferry and for less than the price of a coffee more expensive.

There will always be the argument that on the ferry you can find a chair somewhere and have a rest after along ride, or somewhere to eat. On the Shuttle you can't.

As a regular user of the Shuttle (until Covid!!!!) I can be quite critical of their handling on the day of motorcycles and motorcyclists, but at both ends there are shops and restaurants if you want to eat and drink, if you want to. 

Maybe I need to get a drinks holder for Vera so I can carry my coffee with me to the waiting queue before departure? I think this deserves another 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Retired!

This blog was created to share information for anyone that wanted to come with me to the Czech Centre SOC Rally in Vernirovice in May 2022. ...