Friday 10 September 2021

Routes - Day 2 - Kobern-Gondorf to Königstein in der Oberpfalz

I have an "overall" route for each day  that I use as the basis for splitting the day up into chunks. day was ended up in three pieces to ensure that parts could be planned as "no highway" and others to include highways/motorways.

Day 2 "overall" is only 250 miles and so that could be knocked off in about four hours plus a fuel stop. But I want to get off the motorway and visit something.

I have split Day 2 into two pieces. The first to utilise the motorways to get to places I want to visit, and the second, off-motorway to take in what I hope if some countryside.

For part One I am currently investigating Pompejanum, a replica Roman villa with elaborate mosaics and ancient artworks, and Schloss Johannisburg a 17th-century Renaissance palace in Aschaffenburg. With the stops that should be about 3 hours after setting off from the hotel and it will be lunch time. 

Looking for "biker" style cafes seems to have become more difficult once you get into Bavaria. I posted a note on the "Stromtrooper" V-Strom forum in the Europe section in case someone knows of places but so far no response.

Searching about on Google and Google maps looks equally futile.  

Parking in cities is also a problem.  Usually there is street parking.

I emailed one of the parking garage operators in Würzburg and they replied to say that there are no spaces reserved for motorcycles at all. I have tried the Tourist Board as well. In desperation  I even posted the question on the Bavaria Tripadvisor Forum.

The Tourist Office in Würzburg have come up trumps.  They said that they didn't have a list of places themselves but suggested I try this link - https://www.kilometerfresser.eu/motorradparkplaetze-wuerzburg/ 

See http://invictamoto.blogspot.com/2021/09/kilometerfresser.html for more info on Kilometerfresser.

So after Würzburg and the Castle I might get a chance to visit the old town. The "off-motorway" route here takes me down from the Castle to the Main riverside and the old bridge over the river. There may be time and space to stop for the photo opportunity or a coffee!


The area around Königstein is full of caves and I have added a couple to the route that are near enough to the road so that the bike isn't left unattended for too long and the walk is about ten to fifteen minutes.

Now that I have mastered the changing the odometer to kms from miles, I need to see if I can easily change Fuelly in the same way. I am sure it can't be complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Retired!

This blog was created to share information for anyone that wanted to come with me to the Czech Centre SOC Rally in Vernirovice in May 2022. ...