Tuesday 19 October 2021

Routes - Day 1 Parts 2 & 3 - Bad Münstereifel to Bad Ems

I have a new route from Simmerath and the Bikers Ranch, that I will call my lunch stop, to the overnight hotel stop.

I had thought that maybe I would avoid Bad Münstereifel in case it's no longer open to visitors after the floods and the damage caused in the summer of 2021.  In the end I thought that it would do no harm to go and see and if open maybe grab a coffee and take some photos.  

The mediaeval centre looks to have avoided the destruction that many other places suffered during WW2. It looks as though the terrible flooding did what the armies and bombs couldn't do seventy plus years ago.

The other reason for the changes (all across the trip)  are because choosing different hotels and therefore the planned routes. As more hotels come online for next May, I check the distances and the costs and then make a change if there is a better option. There often is and I make a change!

It is so much easier with booking.com being all done online and no need like the old days to phone or even write a letter to where you want to stay and wait for a reply!

Anyway. The change. Kobern-Gondorf on the Moselle has gone and has been replaced with Fachbach near Bad Ems on the Lahn. It's not much further on and it looks like more interesting roads are in the area as you come down off the mountains to river level.

Hotel Stadt Coblenz in Fachbach/Bad Ems is the new end of Day 1 hotel.  I made the change purely as it is a little further east, offer included breakfast (see the photos!) and has onsite parking. 

Many of the options simply don't have parking onsite or even nearby. Okay for a car but not for a bike.  As usual it has free cancellation and no pre-payment.

I don't mind paying for breakfast at the hotel, or stopping at a nearby McDonalds, but finding those at a reasonable price, I will be a pensioner after all, with breakfast and parking onsite is quite rare these days.


Hotel Stadt Coblenz

It doesn't look as though MyRouteApp has a "merge routes" function. Otherwise I could merge Part 2 and Part 3 into one route! So I will have to stuck with them.  There are too many waypoints to manually change.

Part 2 is only about 30 miles and Part 3 less than a 100 even with the changes.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Retired!

This blog was created to share information for anyone that wanted to come with me to the Czech Centre SOC Rally in Vernirovice in May 2022. ...