Thursday 4 November 2021

Routes - Day 7 - Westward Ho?

I didn't want to simply retrace my outward journey on the way back. That's why the original thinking was to go out through Germany on the A4/A3/A6 route with the odd diversion to take in the Michelin "green roads" detours.

So the start today is at the Gasthof Reif in Königstein in der Oberpfalz and I have looked at the overnight for tonight.  Hopefully the tank of fuel from near the border the night before should give me a further 160+ miles today before another fuel up. But rather than risk it I have added another fuel stop before I go too far from the hotel.  This will up that 160+ to nearer 200 and plenty of margin for error!!!

Day 6 has a little retracing from Plzeň to nearby to the Gasthof. Today I will need to get on the A9 and then the A6 to get past Nuremburg.  Unlike the DevallBoys trip in 2016 I won't be going in search of the Nazi showgrounds!

My only planned stop is at the Sinsheim Technik-Museum.  Primarily I want to see both the Concorde and the Russian TU-144 version.  As they are on the roof of one of the buildings this may be the case of paying to get in!  To maximise time there I need to get a shift on when on the A6!

I have planned a fuel stop after the museum stop and barely a mile or two away from the museum. Then it is peg it all the way to Hockenhein and once again across the Rhine. 

My destination is Luxembourg. Not actually in the city as hotels look to be at least and arm and maybe part of a leg expensive but Hotel Carpini in Bascharage.  It's a reasonable price and has breakfast included and also restaurant/bar on site.


I'll need another fuel stop before reaching the overnight hotel and there are quite a few near it. From the Technik museum it is about 170 miles and so I may need to stop before the planned fuel stop.  

All the fuel stops are based on the current average mpg of Vera of low 50's to the gallon with a safe margin of error.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Retired!

This blog was created to share information for anyone that wanted to come with me to the Czech Centre SOC Rally in Vernirovice in May 2022. ...