Wednesday 3 November 2021

Routes - Day 6 - Homeward Bound

I have done this journey many times since 1989. Most usually slogging up the dálnice from Brno around Prague and Plzeň into Germany. 

The usual route is crossing into Germany at Rozvadov and once through the border near Most.

The Most crossing was that first return trip back in 1989 when I was with Graham Walker. He was on the GSXR1100 and me on my Cavalcade LX. We stayed overnight in Bamberg. For some reason I ended up with his camera bag in my capacious topbox.

We got separated on the autobahn somewhere. We had pre-booked the next overnight and so after waiting for half an hour by the road near Frankfurt I headed to the stop. On the way I took a photo of the Loreley for him!

When my brother and I came back in 2016 we attempted the off motorway route along silnice 23 and 19/20. Only to be thwarted by a bridge over the Vltava being closed for repairs. The bridge in question was the Žďákov Bridge.

The TomToms then had a complete meltdown and we ended up on a cobbled road for miles before we ended up near Plzeň. 

I have now plotted a route from Brno via Zastávka to look at my old school and then onto dálnice D1 for a short run past Jihlava onto silnice 19. This route will take me across country to the south of Prague and also avoid the D1 and a lot of the D5. 

As long as it is "fixed" the Žďákov Bridge shouldn't be a problem this time and I will get to ride across it.  From there it will be up towards Plzeň and the D5 to the border and back into Germany.  

I have booked the Gasthof Reif on the way back. Restaurant and parking onsite.  In one of the earlier outward journey's (long since consigned to the trash can) I had planned to stay at this inn before changing my mind and stopping in Plzeň to reduce the next day's riding in Czech.

I have factored in some fuel stops along the way. With fuel prices some €30¢ a litre less in Czech than in Germany it seems sensible to keep the tank filled up before reaching the border. Source: https://www.tolls.eu/fuel-prices

It was a big decision to change the entire return from the rally.  To cut out Schloss Colditz and the Hagen stops. To remove the Dambusters' Dams as well.  I expect that Neill and I will try to get that done some other time on a "DevallBoys" trip.


Michelin Map background

The end of day 6 sees me still just inside Bavaria with the best part of 620 miles from home.  So at the end of day 7 I will need another overnight stop!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Retired!

This blog was created to share information for anyone that wanted to come with me to the Czech Centre SOC Rally in Vernirovice in May 2022. ...