Monday 7 February 2022

Day 5/6 - Brno Stop?

As mentioned before. I might make Brno a stop rather than a stopover on the first stage of the return leg.

Currently, the return leg is based on two visits. Firstly to see my friends in Brno and secondly, to visit the Sinsheim Technology Museum.

If the first one becomes at stop rather than stopover, maybe Sinsheim could be consigned to the bin?

It looks as though I have some more tweeking to do!

Where to stay on the Sunday? I was thinking that if I leave Vernířovice about 10am I could be in Brno before lunchtime. A pitstop and chat, then off. But where?

From Brno it's maybe 90 miles or so to Vienna and only 45 or so to the border with Austria.

So back to where to stay?  

This would be Day 5. I have stayed several times at the Youth Hostel in Melk on the Danube. And also in Linz once. That's an idea. 

How to get there? The quickest would be to cross the border on the dual carriageway that replaced the old S52.

This was actually the first way we came in on our first trip to Czechoslovakia in 1986. We crossed from Drasenhofen to Mikulov through a very tight border complete with anti tank ditches, wire and dogs. When I lived in Zastávka I went through here a couple of times a month to buy an English newspaper in Austria and to meet my partner at the time from Vienna Airport.

I digress. To use the motorway to Linz would take the mileage to about 280 for the day. That's doable in a day Inc a stop to sea friends. It would mean buying a vignette asap in Austria as bikes have to pay to use the motorways. It's not that expensive.

I'd prefer the stick on one but you can get one electronically! https://checkout.mautpilot.com/product/10-Tages-Vignette?

The stick on is like a tourist "I've been" sticker!

To keep Day 6 (Monday) ending in Heilbronn would mean a other longish day again on motorways. Linz to Strasbourg and then into Germany. The app calculates it to be 350 or so.

Of course. I might decide to drop Sinsheim and plan something else.

All part of the fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Retired!

This blog was created to share information for anyone that wanted to come with me to the Czech Centre SOC Rally in Vernirovice in May 2022. ...